The first setting up of the market could date back to the Angevin era. A 1299 document, in the Aragonese era, reports the name macellum Porte Patitellorum. The Bocceria Grande or macellum magnum, in today’s Piazza Caracciolo, in the XIV century was the largest market for the slaughter and sale of meat: when in the XV century the meat market was moved to the today’s district of Monte di Pietà, Vucciria became a large fruit and vegetable market. It was called Bocceria Vecchia, to distinguish itself from the Nuova, dedicated to slaughterhouses, and it joined the Garraffello, the logia mercatorum, seat of the Genoese, Pisan and Catalan merchants. The district of Porta Patitelli assumed the current configuration of square of grascia, with all foodstuffs. In 1783 the viceroy Caracciolo, to whom the Vucciria square was headed, enriched the market with arcades and masonry shops. Today the market has been reduced, favoring the mainly evening and night activities of pubs and clubs, also historic, as the Taverna Azzurra, and of street food sellers.